Project Fi has been around now for a little over a year now and has been gaining more and more popularity, especially among those who like to have Google’s flagship phones. I’ve personally been using Fi since August 2015, and I have to say that I’ve been overly impressed with all aspects of my experience from the phone itself to the reliability and flexibility of the service down to the support behind the service. My previous carrier, Sprint, was very disappointing in most of these aspects.
I’ve always preferred hosting my own services on my own servers. At home I have 5 desktop computers running as headless servers, each one with it’s own purpose. A couple of them even running a few virtual machines. However, over time I’ve needed more and more servers for either testing purposes or for running live services and I just can’t justify adding more desktops and more heat and power consumption in my home. I also had to shut my websites down for a few days during a move a little over a year ago, not to mention the times that I have power outages that also result in downtime.
TL’DR: A link contained in a popular email scam posing as a fake Google sign-in page could result in your account being compromised. If you become a victim of such a scam, change your passwords. Use secure passwords as a general security practice. Enable 2-Factor authentication wherever possible. Check your Google Activity Dashboard regularly.
There is a common scam E-mail going around that ultimately will trick you into providing your email username and password. It will usually come from someone who has already been hijacked, so it will appear to be legitimate, but it may come from a random address as well. The email will usually have a subject like “Document” or “Invoice” and the body will say that they are sending you a document via Google Docs with a link that will take you to the document. Continue reading
I previously wrote a blog about setting up Plex Media Server as a service in Windows. However, since then I have come across a new 3rd party service manager that is, in my opinion, easier to setup and use.
I am physically moving in less than a week now. Because of the move and my home hosted server, I’ve decided to move my server out to the cloud to provide better reliability. This resulted in being down for a few more days than planned, but I finally got everything back up (mostly). Have to say, the conversion from Windows to Linux hosting has been fairly easy. Thanks for checking in and sorry for the downtime.
I’ve written a new post with a new simpler method for setting up Plex Media Server as a service. Click here for the updated post.
I recently began using Plex as a media service for my own local media. I like it because it allows you to stream your media anywhere that you can run the Plex app which is support on many different platforms including (but not limited to) Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. It also allows you to share your media library with others. All for free. There is a paid version that offers some advanced features, but the free version works swell.
This is a video that was put together by a coworker for my company as part of a traning/informational video series. This video gives a demonstration of how easy it can be to get a virus on your computer by searching for software and not being aware of what you are clicking on and downloading.
I worked with a customer for over 4 hours yesterday trying to troubleshoot an issue where files that were stored in some sub-directories were mysteriously moving back to the Documents root within 10 minutes. I verified that the files were syncing in the sub directories properly, but within 10 minutes, the files would suddenly be back in the root of the Documents library.
I haven’t done much investigation on this virus, but I ran across it on a client’s machine and spent a while before I finally discovered the issue.
The symptoms I was seeing didn’t show any signs of a virus. Malwarebytes and AVG Antivirus were not detecting anything and I wasn’t seeing anything out of the ordinary except for some Microsoft owned process that generally are not running on systems, especially business machines.
So this is part two of a solution that I had to discover on my own after hours and hours of searching for the answer to a problem that had a very obscure solution. [ See Part 1 here. ]
So after the first fix which was repairing the netprofm service in the registry, I was left with no audio. When attempting to start the Windows Audio service, I got the error very vague message of “Endpoing is a duplicate.” So I searched through the services in the registry looking for something in the AudioSrv key that may be causing the problem. I noticed two keys which were “AudioEndpoingBuilder” and “AudioSrv”. Everything seemed to be correct except for one thing.